Certified Pilates Instructor & Biomechanics Specialist
Hi there! I'm Andrea, thanks for checking out my studio. I've been teaching Pilates for 10 years and have worked in the fitness industry even longer. My first job was teaching aerobics classes at my University.
I, like most instructors, fell in love with Pilates as I was trying to fix my own body. I have always been interested in health and fitness and growing up as a competitive Irish Dancer, I put my body through the ringer trying to get faster, stronger and better.
After I hung up my dance shoes as a young adult, I started to experience discomfort in my hips, back and shoulders. It seemed odd to me that I was experiencing this kind of pain given that I was only in my early 20's. I remember worrying about what the future might look like if I was already feeling this way now. I made the rounds between various specialists but nothing seemed to do the trick.
I serendipitously found my way into a Pilates class, started practising regularly and the aches and pains went away. The rest is history.
I became certified to teach shortly after, first in MAT Pilates then on the Reformer, Cadillac and Chair (the Pilates machines).
I realized that the pain I was experiencing was from muscular imbalances in my body which means, simply put, I was a certified weakling.
Practising Pilates not only made me feel stronger than I ever thought possible but it also helped shape my body into one that I really love.
As a teacher, having the privilege of guiding clients through their own body discoveries and transformations, lights me up. I see the possibilities in them that they cannot see in themselves. Every day I get to help people feel stronger and more confident in their own body - I love my job!
- Certified Mat Pilates Instructor with BODY HARMONICS - 2006
- Certified Equipment Pilates Instructor with BODY HARMONICS - 2009
- Con-Ed Courses include but not limited to: Movement and Exercise for Pregnancy, Power and Balance for Hip and Knee, Simplifying the Shoulder Complex, Osteopenia and Osteoporosis, Arthritis: The Modern Epidemic, Handedness and Scoliosis, Gait Analysis, SI Joint, Vertical Repertoire, Mind-Body Exercise for Men, Pain 101, Hip Replacements
- Currently part of Teacher Training Faculty at BODY HARMONICS
- I also teach at the BODY HARMONICS Dupont Studio in Toronto - check out my current class schedule - I'd love to see you there.
- Undergraduate Degree from Wilfrid Laurier University in Psychology & Biology - 2007
- Certified Nutritional Practitioner through the Institute of Holistic Nutrition
- Co-founder of PILATES FOR THE PEOPLE
In my studio, I've got a professional Reformer and Split-Pedal Chair as well as various props like balls, bands, discs and rollers.
During each session, we'll use a variety of equipment depending on our goals and needs that day.
If you've never used Pilates equipment before, don't worry! You don't need any prior experience in Pilates before coming to my studio because I'm going to teach you all the basics and have you feeling like a pro in no time.